Ever feel that post-holiday slump?
Gone are the colorful decorations, bright lights and sparkle of the season. You put it all away for another year as your everyday furniture and accessories reclaim their pre-holiday space in your home. Ah, yes, order restored. A place for everything and everything in its place. Great, right? Well, if you are anything like me, it never really feels great. Sure, there is less chaos and clutter, but for some reason the effect is somewhat blah, dull and, well, just not as interesting. If this sounds familiar to you, then I suggest a post-holiday face lift for your space.
Infusing new life in your home doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. Just try a few new things to give it a mini-boost. Here are few suggestions.
- Spark joy. Eliminate those things that make your room look tired and weary. Set aside one morning to study the room where you spend most of your time. Then use the afternoon for getting rid of the ugly and the unnecessary.
- Re-work it. Try rearranging what you already own! Sometimes moving furniture around a room or transferring pieces from one room to another makes a huge difference.
- Move it around. Test out non-traditional positioning of your furniture. Instead of placing it around the walls, place your furniture on angles in the corners. You’ll be surprised at the difference a different angle can make.
- Light it up. If your room seems drab and dull, perhaps your lighting could use a face lift. Consider replacing (or swapping) an old lamp shade or installing new wall fixtures. Try adding a few new lamps to brighten up your world.
- Freshen it up. No need to wait for spring. A vase of fresh flowers or a flowering plant is one of the fastest ways to add life and color to a room. Flower arrangements can be large or small, elaborately arranged or very simply put in a pitcher.
Incorporating just a few small changes can have a big impact, infusing new life and energy into your home. It’s a great way to uplift your spirits and treat the post-holiday blahs.